Coronavirus: Can I Use the Services of a Plumber During Quarantine?
May 12th, 2020
During the COVID-19 pandemic many homeowners are unsure about which maintenance services are available or not according to the rules about essential workers and some industry shutdowns.
• Where does plumbing fit into the picture during the pandemic?
• Can I call a plumber to fix a leak during the COVID-19 shutdown?
• Is plumbing considered an essential service in Quebec?
• Are West Island and Montreal plumbers allowed to work during COVID-19?
We’re pleased to let you know that yes, plumbing is considered an essential service (we’ve felt very essential all along!) and the team at Plomberie Richard et Fils are here to help when you need us.
Public Safety Canada announced the list of functions deemed essential in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic to help provinces/territories, Indigenous communities, and municipalities protect their communities while maintaining the reliable operation of critical infrastructure services and functions to ensure the health, safety, and economic well-being of the population. Plumbing is included in this essential list of services.
• Workers such as plumbers, electricians, exterminators, escalator and elevator mechanics, home appliance service providers, and others necessary for maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences and buildings
• Workers who support the supply chain of building materials from production through application/installation, including cabinetry, fixtures, doors, cement, hardware, plumbing, electrical, heating/cooling, refrigeration, appliances, paint/coatings, and employees who provide services that enable repair materials and equipment for essential functions
Specific to Quebec, Construction sector services which are deemed essential and permitted to operate during the COVID-19 pandemic include:
• Electricians, plumbers and other trades (emergency services only)
• Housing construction – New – As from April 20, 2020
◦ Work to complete the delivery of residential units slated for not later than July 31, 2020 will be authorized. This includes construction and renovation work and surveying and building inspection. As a result, the construction industry supply chain sector, comprising numerous SMEs, will reopen.
What Services Can I Expect from a Plumber During the Pandemic?
Emergency plumbing services that are permitted to be conducted during the COVID-19 pandemic include leaks and inoperable plumbing fixtures that affect the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of the residence. So if you have a leaky pipe that could result in damage to your cabinets or flooring, do call. If you are thinking about adding a waterline to your fridge so that your automatic ice-maker can keep you refreshed this summer, let’s wait a bit!
If you are unsure about whether or not your plumbing needs are deemed essential or not, please do not hesitate to contact us. We’ll assess the situation with you over the phone and go from there. Like always, Richard et Fils is committed to keeping our worker and our customers safe at all times.